Flan de huevo casero or cream caramel is one of the most simple and delicious desserts, very popular in restaurant menus and always a winner.
- 5 big eggs
- 750 ml. milk
- 10 spoons of sugar (2 per each sugar) or sugar to taste
- For the caramel: 3 spoons of sugar and some water
- Caramel: mix sugar and water in medium to low fire until it becomes sticky and dark. Pour some caramel in each of the cups/moulds, covering the bottom.
- Break the eggs into a large bowl and whisk until frothy. Put the milk into another saucepan. Heat and add the sugar. Bring the mixture to the boil. Add the beaten egg slowly, whisking all the time to prevent it from sticking to the saucepan. Before the mixture reaches boiling point, pour it into the moulds through a sieve. Cover the tops of the moulds with foil and transfer to a roasting tin.
- Pour cold water into the roasting tin until it comes half-way up the sides of the moulds. Bake for 20 minutes, making sure the water does not boil. Once the crème caramel is cooked (it should be firm to the touch just) leave to cool in the water. Remove from the water and chill in the fridge. When ready to serve, loosen the flans with a round-bladed knife. Carefully turn the crème caramel out of the moulds and serve.